Borrowing from Box Hill Institute Libraries
Staff can borrow from any branch of the library on presentation of a current staff card.
Staff may borrow 20 items at a time. Loan lengths are generally:
- Books: 4 weeks
- Audio CDs, DVDs, Magazines & Journals : 2 weeks
- Kits: 1 week.
Items can be renewed as many times as you require, unless a hold has been placed on the item. Talk to library staff if you want variations to these conditions.
Loans can be renewed in person, over the telephone, by email or online. To renew online, log into the library catalogue using your staff number in the student number field, and the last four digits of your staff number as the pin.
All items must be returned by the due date. Failure to do so unfairly inconveniences other borrowers. Teachers do not pay overdue fines, but will have to pay replacement costs for lost or damaged items.
Items may be returned to any Box Hill Institute Library.
Borrowing from other campuses
If an item is located at another campus library (or out on loan), you can place a hold on it via the Library catalogue (step-by-step instructions are available) and have it sent to the campus of your choice. You will get an email advising you when the item is ready for you to borrow, and then have a week to come and collect the item.
Borrowing from other libraries
There are several options available to staff wanting to borrow from other libraries:
- Access other Victorian TAFE and University Libraries using CAVAL. The CAVAL reciprocal borrowing scheme allows you to borrow items from most academic libraries in Victoria in person. To use CAVAL you will need to present a current staff card at the library that you wish to borrow from. Staff at that library will issue you with a CAVAL borrowing card for that year - ask Library staff for more information. CAVAL is a free service, but please be aware when using it that you are responsible for books borrowed from other libraries. When you borrow an item from another library you are bound by the owning library's loan periods, overdue charges and other policies.
- Interlibrary loans: Access Libraries Australia wide. We can bring in loans or copies from other libraries around Australia for your use.
Standard interlibrary loans cost $16.50 per item, and take around one week to arrive. We can also organise rush delivery, for urgent requests. Rush loans are posted (express post) by the supplying library within 24 hours of them receiving the request, and generally cost $33.00.
Costs are charged to your Teaching Centre. Any variation in costs will be advised prior to your request proceeding.
To organise an interlibrary loan or copy, complete the Request Form and return it to the Library. Please note that the form differentiates between
- a copy request for your own personal study and research (s49)
- a copy request for that you wish to distribute to your students (Part VB) and:
- a loan of a physical item
Only one of these options should be completed for each request.
- Access public libraries across Victoria. All Victorians can join public libraries across the state. To join, just visit the library of your choice with identification that confirms your current address.