Getting the money together & rent

The Office of Housing (OoH) is able to lend bonds to people on a low income. However, there is a strict criteria for assessment. Generally, you must be on a low income (ie, receiving Centrelink benefits) and your rent can not exceed 55% of you income. It is expected that upon leaving a property where an OoH bond is used, that it is left in a condition where the bond is returned. If the bond is not returned, you will have a debt to the OoH that needs to be repaid by you. Contact your local OoH for more details (see appendix 4 for your local OoH number).

Your local Transitional Housing Manager (THM) may also have the capacity to provide you with a financial loan or grant to assist with rent in advance. You will need to contact your local OoH for the details of the THM that covers your area. These services also have strict criteria including affordability of the rent and ability to maintain the accommodation.

Rent & Bills

When you are sharing, you are all responsible for rent and bills.

  • If someone has not paid their share of the rent, it is likely that any action taken by the landlord will effect all people on the lease equally.
  • Problems may also arise if utility bills are in one household member’s name with an understanding that the costs will be shared, as this sharing of costs may not actually occur.
  • Try to put all household members’ names on utility accounts and discuss possible action to be taken if rent and all household members do not pay bills.
  • Consider having a phone with incoming calls only, this way you will not have to worry about whom is responsible for the calls made. If you have a phone with incoming and outgoing calls, discuss with your housemates how the bill is going to be divided and what level of responsibility each household member is going to take for their calls. Also, if you have a mobile phone, you may not need a landline.
Last modified: Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 12:04 PM