GPS student induction
Research has shown that an extended induction program improves retention rates by up to 20%. Semester 1 students have been overwhelmingly positive in their evaluation of the program.
At the end of this program you will have completed the unit of competence VBQU130: Develop and document a learning plan and portfolio including the following 3 assessment tasks:
Instructions: Select the headings to reveal more information.
Your learning plan
Informal learning checklist.
1 short-term learning goal and 1 long-term learning goal.
Learning styles analysis quiz.
Digital literacy assessment.
RPL eligibility test.
Reviewed and submitted my learning plan.
Viewed/updated my profile information.
Created a journal describing reasons for choosing my area of study.
Created an ePortfolio page and submitted this to my GPS course.
Updating your learning plan
Viewed/updated my learning plan.
Described the progress and barriers encountered in completing my goals.
What is the GPS?
The GPS student induction is Box Hill Institute Group’s student induction program, designed to help you get the most out of your studies. This program introduces you to:
- your online student portal including StudentWeb, your ePortfolio and email
- student services including the library, study support and careers advice
- study options including recognition of prior learning, studying abroad and flexible delivery
- how to get involved with student clubs and activities
- ways you can use your strengths, skills, and goals to assist in your studies and career.
It is available to all new students and covers the following:
- ACER literacy, numeracy and reasoning testing for each students
- asks you to create a learning plan that includes:
- your individual strengths, skills, interests and experiences (SWOT analysis)
- a discussion around study strategies after completing a learning styles analysis
- your personal, learning, and career goals
- your preferred modality (way) of learning
- digital literacy analysis.
- informs you of options for RPL processes, and transitions into further study and alternative courses/careers
- assists you to create a professional ePortfolio by introducing you to the resumé builder and other tools.