Title : Kitchen Assistant
Reports to : Chef / Chef Manager
The Kitchen Assistant is employed to
assist the Chef in all kitchen operations in a safe and efficient manner
supporting and promoting our quality and safety culture. To assist with the
preparation and deliver high quality food and dining room service for clients,
residents and customers. The Kitchen Assistant must ensure that all tasks are
performed with due regard for Health and Safety, Quality and Food Safety
Contemporary Catering Values and
Contemporary Catering operates with
PROFESSIONAL INTEGRITY. We will treat all staff, suppliers,
contractors, clients and residents with
dignity and respect. Contemporary Catering endeavors to foster COLLABORATIVE
RELATIONSHIPS AND TEAM WORK by striving to work together to create personal and
professional growth within others and in accordance with the company’s
performance and growth.
Our aim is to provide a quality CUSTOMER
SERVICE FOCUS by generating a professional and friendly
service. All staff are to take on
RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE QUALITY to produce actions that achieve the best
result possible for Contemporary Catering, clients, residents and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist the Chef – preparation of food,
serving of food and meals, checking delivered stock as
requested, re-heating and light cooking
duties as requested.
• Delivering a high standard of customer
care and service to residents and clients when delivering
food service and during interactions
with client site staff and residents.
• Maintain an open friendly attitude
when dealing with all residents at all times.
Other Kitchen duties may include:-
- Light cooking duties including making
sandwiches, chopping food for and mixing up salads,
making porridge, etc.
- Cleaning duties – dishes, trolleys,
cooking equipment, tables, chairs
• Work with colleagues and clients –
communicate effectively in the workplace, maintain personal presentation
standards, work effectively in a team.
• Follow all company policies and
• Buddy duties – where nominated, act as
a buddy to new employees
• Where nominated: review completed food
safety records and complete corrective actions
• Where nominated: update the dietary advice
summary and other administrative duties
• Other duties and responsibilities may
be required as determined with your manager from time to time.
• To prepare and present food products
according to the standards set by management, whilst maintaining consistent
product quality and service. To ensure all food is handled in the “danger zone”
for an absolute minimum amount of time. i.e. Between 5 degrees – 60 degrees.
• Cooked food must be heated to above 75
• Hot food must be kept above 60
• Cold food must be kept below 5
• To ensure that all food preparation is
done in a tidy manner with washing and sanitising of tools, equipment and work
surfaces after each daily task and that disposable gloves are worn and replaced
for each task.
• You must ensure all food products
being delivered are checked for damage and correct temperatures and any suspect
products reported immediately to the Chef/Manager.
• You must ensure all food products that
pass delivery inspection are stored immediately according to product storage
• To ensure all food products are stored
in correct storage temperatures (as stated above).
• To ensure foods are stored correctly
in the area allocated.
• Therefore: stock should be rotated and
raw food must not come into contact with cooked food.
• All suspected products must be
reported to Chef/Manager.
• UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS SUSPECT FOOD
TO BE SERVED.
Personal Hygiene/Personal Presentation
• To reduce risk of food contamination
and to present a professional image.
• Hair must be neatly trimmed, tied back
and with a net or hat worn.
• Fingernails should be manicured and
• Hands must be washed frequently,
especially after eating, toilet or nasal contact.
• Gastroenteritis or stomach illness
must be reported to management.
• No smoking in food areas.
• Uniforms must be cleaned, ironed and
in good condition or repair.
• Sensible, sturdy footwear must be worn
in a good condition or repair.
• Hands must be washed frequently e.g.
before and after handling food, after toilet or meal breaks and nasal contact.
• Avoid touching your face, nose, hair
or licking fingers whilst preparing food, gloves should be worn where possible.
• All cuts/abrasions to be covered (if
on hands gloves to be worn at all times).
• Use tongs or gloves to handle food
• Perishable goods must be stored
correctly in fridge/freezer.
• Do not store cooked and raw foods
• Maintain benches, utensils in a clean
• Sanitise all work areas at the end of
• Perishable foods not to be left on the
• Dishes to be washed in dishwasher or
in hot soapy water, then dried.
• Dishwasher to be drained and filter
• Floor must be swept, mopped and hosed
Health and Safety Accountabilities
• Report any workplace safety issues and
injuries, accidents or risks verbally and in writing on the appropriate incident
and hazard form.
• Apply safety policies and procedures
in the workplace
• Ensuring that safe work practices are
followed and required PPE is used
• Actively promote a strong safety
culture by being actively engaged in the workplace following safe behaviours
• Implement all food safety requirements
• Perform all food safety checks, record
keeping, temperature controls
• Report any workplace issues such as
maintenance or food recordings in the danger zone, verbally and in writing.
• Conduct recordings of equipment and
food temperatures and cleaning schedules
• Ensure effective cleaning and
sanitation of all utensils, equipment, premises, etc
• Ensure effective staff personnel
hygiene practices are adhered to
• Premises, equipment and pest control
monitoring and, where applicable, reporting of defects
• Store, prep, cook, cool, reheat,
modify, serve food in accordance with the HACCP principles
Qualifications / Education / Experience
• Food Safety Level 1 – HLTSE001 –
Follow Basic Food Safety Practices – preferred qualification
• Sound knowledge of kitchen hygiene and
safe food practices
• Demonstrated understanding of
providing food service standards in Aged Care environment
• Communication skills commensurate with
• Ability to work independently as
directed and as a member of a team.
• Displays initiative and ability to
perform all the tasks required
• Communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to deliver high standards of
customer service and quality work in tight time frames
• While performing the duties of this
job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle,
or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required
to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5kgs.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Working in a commercial kitchen environment
with heat and steam, fryers, ovens, toasters, mixers, dishwashers and other
cooking and cleaning equipment. Ability to use all kitchen equipment safely.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Contemporary Catering undertakes food
service 7 days a week, 365 days per year in Aged Care facilities, including
• Employees are required to be available
to work during core / peak operating times as well as some early morning /
evening work that may fall outside of these times.
• All incumbents may occasionally be
required to work additional hours to ensure that the service is fully staffed
• Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attention Tate