Coronavirus Update

Coronavirus Update

by Student Life -
Number of replies: 0

Coronavirus Update

Frequently Asked Questions

Are classes running?

Yes, classes are continuing to run based on government advice. We are currently converting many courses to enable remote delivery.

Will classes continue to run in the next couple of weeks?

Current federal advice is for education providers to remain open but the coronavirus response is evolving quickly. We are examining alternative ways to deliver classes and will keep everyone informed of changes to delivery modes.

Who do I contact if I am not coming back to class?

Please contact your teacher or course coordinator to advise of your planned absence.

Is Box Hill Institute planning to move some classes to online delivery?

Yes, this is currently being explored and many courses are being converted for remote delivery.

Will I get a refund if classes are cancelled past the census date?

At this stage, there are no plans to cancel classes. Each case will be addressed individually. You should talk to your coordinator for further information and we will inform students before the census date is due.

If we don't attend classes due to fear of infection, will this affect our attendance rate?

It is important that absent students contact their coordinator or teacher as soon as possible to discuss options for catching up on work or to make alternate arrangements to minimise being penalised.

Will classes be postponed entirely or will there be an online alternative?

Arrangements for providing alternative course delivery are currently being explored and in many cases remote versions developed. Your coordinator will be in touch with you shortly in regards to your options.

What should I do if my apprenticeship interacts with several strangers per day (e.g. Hairdressing)? Are we still expected to attend?

Currently, we’re encouraging everyone to follow business as usual, which includes attending your apprenticeship. The coronavirus response is evolving quickly and if the situation changes, we will let you know. High risk areas are being addressed and you should have some communication come through soon.

If I am a current student and need to self-isolate will I be supported?

You will be supported. Contact your coordinator as soon as possible to discuss options for catching up on work or to make alternate arrangements. You can also contact Student Life on (03) 9286 9891 or via email at studentlife@boxhill.edu.au

What steps do I need to take if I need to self-isolate? Who do I notify?

The Federal Department of Health website has details on self-isolation. During the 14 days of isolation, you must stay at home or in your place of residence and don’t go to public places including work, school, childcare or public gatherings. Notify your coordinator or teacher as soon as you can.

If classes are cancelled, will this affect my Free TAFE spot/government subsidised place for future courses?

There are no plans to cancel courses at this stage, but we are looking at alternate methods of delivery. We will be directed by the Education Department in regards to what would be affected and we will communicate this to you.

If someone is coughing or showing symptoms in class, who should I tell?

Please tell your teacher if someone is coughing or showing symptoms in class.

Box Hill Institute continues to take advice on the coronavirus (COVID-19) from the Department of Health, DFAT Smart Traveller, and the World Health Organisation.

The Australian Government’s health response to the COVID-19 outbreak aims to:

·         minimise the number of people becoming infected or sick with COVID-19

·         help you to manage your own risk and the risk to your families and communities

·         minimise how ill people become and the mortality rate

·         manage the demand on our health systems

Find out more about coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to protect yourself. Separate fact from fiction by reading coronavirus myth busters on the World Health Organization website. This includes information about when and how to wear a surgical mask.

The virus can spread from person to person through:

·         close contact with an infectious person (including in the 24 hours before they started showing symptoms)

·         contact with droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze

·         touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) with cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face

Coronavirus is a new disease, so there is no existing immunity in our community. This means that it could spread widely and quickly. To help reduce the spread and protect those who are most at risk, it is important that you take the recommended steps to protect yourself and others. Good hygiene includes:

·         covering your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue

·         disposing of tissues properly

·         washing your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet

·         using alcohol-based hand sanitisers

·         cleaning and disinfecting surfaces

·         if you are sick, avoiding contact with others and staying more than 1.5 metres away from people

One way to slow the spread of viruses is social distancing. For example:

·         staying at home when you are unwell

·         avoiding large public gatherings if they’re not essential

·         keeping a distance of 1.5 metres between you and other people whenever possible

·         minimising physical contact, especially with people at higher risk such as older people and people with existing health conditions

People with coronavirus may experience fever, flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and fatigue, and shortness of breath. If you are sick and think you have symptoms of COVID-19, seek medical attention. If you want to talk to someone about your symptoms first, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice: 1800 020 080.

International Students

The Department of Health is delivering Australian information services online for international students. For coronavirus updates for international students, visit the Study in Australia website. You will also find useful information on the Study Melbourne website.

The Australian Department of Home Affairs contains useful information on coronavirus and the Australian border information.

BUPA, Box Hill Institute’s preferred Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider, has a 24/7 Student Health and Support Line for international students and you can speak to a registered nurse for medical assistance, access counselling services, etc. Interpreters are available in 180 languages on 1300 884 235. Please have your OSHC number ready when making phoning.

If you are concerned about any policies related to your study at Box Hill Institute as an international student, please contact the Manager International Student Policy and Monitoring, Michelle Goddard, on (03) 9286 9453 or via email at m.goddard@boxhill.edu.au.

If you are concerned about policies in relation to your current student visa, please contact the Department of Home Affairs via their website or by calling 131 800 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

If you require support during this time, please contact Student Life on (03) 9286 9891 or email studentlife@boxhill.edu.au.

If you are concerned about your safety and wellbeing, please contact the International Student Wellbeing Officer, Nikki Singh on (03) 9286 9445 or via email at nikita.singh@boxhill.edu.au.

If you are concerned about your academic progress and would like assistance with your assessments, please contact the International Academic Advisor, Faz Maghami on (03) 9286 9734 or via email at f.maghami@boxhill.edu.au.

Visit the Box Hill Institute website for some frequently asked questions about the coronavirus.

Follow the Australian Government’s Department of Health on Facebook and Twitter.