BHI's Artificial Intelligence (AI) guidelines, along with the General AI Guide for Students, provide you with information about AI, helping you understand its potential and avoid any problems. It's a good idea to talk to your teacher about using AI in your studies before starting any assessments.
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is collection of interrelated technologies used to solve problems autonomously, and perform tasks to achieve defined objectives, in some cases without explicit guidance from a human being.
There are different types of AI in use today. Generative Artificial Intelligence (sometimes called GAI) is a type of AI which employs machine learning algorithms to create or remix content.
Generative AI tools such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Bard can generate content such as text, images, audio, video, and computer code. They are typically trained on large amounts of data such as books, articles, websites, images, open code, music tracks and metadata, to analyse patterns in order to create new and unique outputs.
They can also ‘hallucinate’ and create factually untrue information from the patterns they generate.
AI tools for study
BHI supports the appropriate use of AI, however there are times when it is not appropriate to use in your studies. When you use AI, you must acknowledge it appropriately.
Select each heading for more information:
Benefits of AI
There are lots of great uses of AI tools, but always ask yourself why you are using it, how can it help you, and what are its limitations.
AI can be great for:
- As a brainstorming tool and a means to receive instant feedback on drafts of your work before submission. Be aware the output is not always accurate or trustworthy. You must check any work you do against reliable sources of information.
- Breaking down complex concepts into simpler terms
- Improve written communication skills
- Revision exercises such as practice quizzes and flash cards
- Developing AI literacy skills
- Helping you craft your CV or developing practice interview questions from a job description
Explore the tool yourself but when used you must always properly acknowledge it in your assessment and provide an appropriate citation
AI - Legal & privacy considerations
If you have questions about the use of AI in your studies speak with your teacher or contact the Library and speak to one of their friendly staff members.