Borrowing from other Libraries

Students can access materials from a wide variety of libraries around Australia through arrangements with Universities, other TAFE institutes, and public libraries.

For information about:

  • Getting items sent here from other libraries, see: Interlibrary loans
  • Borrowing in person at other Victorian academic libraries, see CAVAL
  • Borrowing in person at a public library, see Public libraries

Interlibrary loans

You can borrow from another academic, public or private library - just ask at the Library customer service desk. Items will be sent to BHI and loaned to you.

Who is eligible?

  • All currently enrolled students of Box Hill Institute and CAE

How much does it cost?

  • A standard interlibrary loan costs $16.50. (Free for Degree and Postgraduate students)

How long does it take?

  • A standard request usually takes about a week to arrive.

What is the loan period?

  • Usually 4 weeks, but can vary according to the lending library's loan policy


  • You may also qualify to use the CAVAL reciprocal borrowing scheme offered by Victorian TAFE and University libraries
  • To borrow, visit a participating library in person, and ask staff for a CAVAL card. You may be asked to produce your student card, or to sign onto StudentWeb to prove you are a current student.
  • To be eligible, you must be enrolled in a tertiary level course that runs for at least one year
  • Secondary students undertaking VET courses are not eligible to borrow via CAVAL
  • You must borrow and return items in person to the participating library.
  • You must abide by the borrowing regulations of the participating library
  • More information about the CAVAL reciprocal borrowing scheme can be obtained from Library staff or from visiting the CAVAL website.

To search holdings at Victorian Universities and TAFEs, visit: LibraryLink Victoria
(Select "Victorian Universities" under "Current Profile")


Public libraries

All Victorian residents are able join, and borrow from Victorian public libraries.

To search the holdings at all Victorian Public Libraries visit: LibraryLink Victoria

To search the catalogue at the State Library of Victoria, visit: State Library of Victoria Note that you can also sign up online to access many of the State Library of Victoria online databases.

Local public libraries include:


Around Australia

Search for holdings of resources at a wide range of Australian Libraries via the National Library's website  Trove

Last modified: Wednesday, 6 March 2019, 4:16 PM