Borrowing from other Libraries
Students can access materials from a wide variety of libraries around Australia through arrangements with Universities, other TAFE institutes, and public libraries.
For information about:
- Getting items sent here from other libraries, see: Interlibrary loans
- Borrowing in person at other Victorian academic libraries, see CAVAL
- Borrowing in person at a public library, see Public libraries
Interlibrary loans and document delivery
You can borrow from another academic, public or private library - just ask at the Library customer service desk. Items will be sent to Box Hill Institute and lent to you. We can also organise delivery of an article from a magazine or journal, or a chapter from a book.
- Standard cost interlibrary loans are free for degree or postgraduate students . To make a request, click the Interlibrary Loan Form for Degree Students
- VET students are charged on a cost recovery basis. Costs are generally $28.80 for interlibrary loans (e.g borrowing a physical item such as a book) and $18.70 for document requests (e.g. an article from a journal or a chapter of a book). To make a request, click the Interlibrary Loan Form for Non Degree Students
- Staff interlibrary loan forms are available on OurSpace
- You will be charged for lost, damaged or overdue items
- Requests can only be made for items that are not held in the Box Hill Institute collection, even if these are on loan.
Who is eligible?
- All currently enrolled students of Box Hill Institute and CAE
How long does it take?
- A standard request usually takes one to two weeks to arrive, although articles may be received much faster than this.
What is the loan period?
- Usually 4 weeks, but can vary according to the lending library's loan policy
- You may also qualify to use the CAVAL reciprocal borrowing scheme offered by Victorian TAFE and University libraries
- To borrow, visit a participating library in person, and ask staff for a CAVAL card. You may be asked to produce your student card, or to sign onto StudentWeb to prove you are a current student.
- To be eligible, you must be enrolled in a tertiary level course that runs for at least one year
- Secondary students undertaking VET courses are not eligible to borrow via CAVAL
- You must borrow and return items in person to the participating library.
- You must abide by the borrowing regulations of the participating library
- More information about the CAVAL reciprocal borrowing scheme can be obtained from Library staff or from visiting the CAVAL website.
To search holdings at Victorian Universities and TAFEs, visit: LibraryLink Victoria
(Select "Victorian Universities" under "Current Profile")
All Victorian residents are able join, and borrow from Victorian public libraries.
To search the holdings at all Victorian Public Libraries visit: LibraryLink Victoria
Local public libraries include:
- Eastern Regional Libraries
(Lilydale, Ringwood, Croydon and other locations)
- Melbourne Library Service
(City Library in Flinders Lane and other locations)
- Whitehorse Manningham Libraries
(Box Hill, Nunawading, The Pines and other locations)
Search for holdings of resources at a wide range of Australian Libraries via the National Library's website Trove