To ask the Library for help, you can drop in and talk to any of our friendly staff; email us on email@example.com or call one of the phone numbers below:
City Campus (CAE) Library: (03) 8892 1684
Elgar Library: (03) 9286 9283
Lilydale Lakeside Campus Library: (03) 8892 2520
Nelson Library: (03) 9286 9281
You may also find the answer to your question in one of our FAQs below.
- About the Library
- IT, Printing, & Copying
About the Library
- Where is the Library?
- There is a Library: at City (CAE); Elgar and Nelson Libraries at Box Hill Campus; and Lilydale Lakeside. For room numbers and address details, please see our home page.
- When is the Library open?
- Current Library hours are listed on our homepage. Make sure you check the news feed for any unexpected changes
- I'm new to the Institute. Where can I get a good introduction to how the Library works?
- Try the Library's Guide for new users of the Library or drop into any of our Libraries, and talk to one of our friendly staff.
Have a look at our online orientation video and find more about on the online videos page.
- How many items can I borrow?
- The number of items that can be borrowed at the one time varies:
Type of Borrower Number of Items Students 15 items Staff 20 items Alumni members 10 items CAVAL members 4 items Public members 4 items
- How long do loans last for?
- Books, DVDs, CDs and magazine loans are usually for 2 weeks. Some items have shorter loan periods. Always check when borrowing or ask Library staff if you're unsure about when items need to be returned. See the Library's Who can borrow and for how long page for more details.
- How do I renew my loans?
- Most people renew online, but in person and over the phone renewals are also possible. See the Library's How to renew page for detailed instructions on renewing your loans.
- Where do I return my books?
- You can return resources to any campus Library.
- City (CAE): There is a returns box in the corridor outside the Library that can be accessed whenever the building is open
- Elgar: There is a return book chute in the wall outside the Library (to the right of the display case near the bridge crossing). This can be accessed whenever the building is open.
- Lilydale: There is a returns box within the library, and another just outside the library entrance. This can be accessed whenever the building is open.
- Nelson: There is a returns box within the study area of the library.
- How do I pay for lost or damaged items?
Please contact the Library in person, by phone (03) 9286 9283 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss payment options.
- How do I get an item that is on loan or at another campus?
- You can place a hold to have an item from another Campus Library sent to your preferred Library for collection. There is no charge for this service.
- If an item is on loan, placing a hold on it puts you in a queue to borrow it, and prevents the current borrower from renewing the item.
- See our How to place a hold page for detailed instructions.
- Can I borrow items from other libraries?
- Yes. You have 3 main options, and Library staff are happy to advise you on the details:
- You may be eligible for a CAVAL card, which enables you to borrow in person from other TAFE and University libraries in Victoria. (Conditions & eligibility criteria apply.)
- Interlibrary loans give you access to the collections of over 700 Libraries Australia libraries. Fill out a request form and we'll get the item sent to the campus library of your choice for you to collect. (Charges may apply.)
- Join your local public library.
For more information, including links to the interlibrary loan request forms, see our Borrowing from other Libraries page.
IT, Printing, & Copying
- How do I get onto Wi-Fi?
- Wi-Fi access for students is available at all campus libraries and in most Institute facilities. A Box Hill Institute or CAE student/staff network login is required.
Instruction sheets for connecting to the Wi-Fi network are available on the Student Wireless Network page on StudentWeb or from Library staff. Library staff may also be able to assist you with connecting.
- How much does printing and copying cost?
- Printing and copying costs are:
Type of Copy/Print A4 A3 Black & White - per side 10¢ 20¢ Colour - per side $0.60 $1.20
- How can I find subject guides for my course?
- The Library produces online guides known as LibGuides. Follow the link and then select your subject area from the list on the left of screen. There are also printed guides for many areas at Elgar Campus Library.
- How do I search the catalogue only for physical items like books, magazines and DVDs?
- After conducting a search on the Discovery catalogue, on the left pane go to Limit To and tick Catalogue Only. This will limit your results to just items on the shelf (along with a greatly reduced number of online resources).
Alternatively, you can search for books, magazines and DVDs via the older style Library catalogue. Change the default selection in the "Library" box to "Box Hill Institute Libraries (Hardcopy items only)". The link to the old catalogue is one of the top tabs on the Discovery catalogue.
- What sort of online resources do you have?
- The Library subscribes to online resources across a wide range of subject areas in a variety of formats. These include eBooks, streaming videos, journals & magazines, newspapers, music, IBISWorld industry reports, Australian Standards and more. The most comprehensive list of our online resources is our Database page. We also have online subject and study guides called LibGuides to help you select the best online resources for your needs.
- How do I access online resources?
- You can access the Library's online resources from the Library's databases page. You will normally have to log in with your studentweb login.
Most of the Library's online resources can also be found just by searching in the Discovery catalogue.
- Does the Library have eBooks that I can borrow?
- The Library has collections of eBooks that are available for you to read online or download to your computer, tablet, or smart phone. The Library's biggest collection of eBooks can be found in the Ebook Central database.
You can also find eBooks via the Library catalogue.
See our LibGuide on eBooks for more details.